Saturday, November 11, 2017

L08 The Family Under Stress (Part 2) - Coping Mechanisms


What do you do when the stress button his alarming in your brain? In the last post we talked about stress and how alcohol seems to exacerbate problems experienced in relationships. Well, in fact, it also exacerbates the problem for those who are abused so, really, there is no way out. But, wait, I lied, there is…effective coping mechanisms! But first, let’s talk about ineffective ones.

There are three ineffective ways people use to cope with stress: denial, avoidance, and scapegoating. Denial is the most common. Although denial and avoidance may be good for collecting oneself in the meantime, it is damaging in the long run. An example of avoiding a problem may be consuming alcohol. This form of coping is common among those who suffer from abuse, but it is counterproductive and dysfunctional. Scapegoating is defined as finding someone or something to blame. It is not even useful in the short term. It is a way of shifting responsibility so that one does not have to feel guilt or personally responsible for resolving a crisis.

Effective coping mechanisms include: taking responsibility, affirming worth, balancing self with other-concern, reframing, and finding available resources. Taking responsibility unlike denial, avoidance, and scapegoating. When someone takes responsibility, they discontinue to act as a victim feeling hurt, oppressed, exploited, in pain, and helpless. Taking responsibility may entail confronting an abuser in a family intervention session. While abuse tends to diffuse inner strengths, it is important that family members take time to affirm their worth and be reminded of their strengths which power may help solve a problem. One example might be to view themselves as not deserving the abuse. Balancing self-concern with other-concern is another important coping mechanism. It is important that family members are not totally focused on themselves or others insomuch that they sacrifice their own safety. Crisis tends to throw people into self-absorption. If all family members become self-absorbed, the situation can become hazardous to marital and familial well-being. Those searching for support may feel abandoned. Families that handle crisis best, are those that grieve, empathize, and support one another. Reframing is a tool in which individuals change their perspective on a situation. For example, they may define the crisis as an obstacle that will lead to growth as they overcome. Lastly, finding available resources is a coping mechanism that may include religious beliefs, self-help groups, books, extended family, and therapists.
     
          Resilient families resist disruption in the face of change and cope effectively with crisis. Resilience can be pictured like a rubber band. When you stretch it out, it bounces back. According to Lauer, some ways of building resilience are: fostering problem-solving skills, celebrations, religious days, communication including beliefs and emotions, financial management, hardiness or optimistic outlook, emotional and physical health, shared leisure, acceptance of personality and behavior, social support of relatives and friends, sharing chores, and implementing traditions that carry throughout generations.
      
         This topic reminds me of the African slaves who were abused for generations. What gave them power to overcome? What helped people in Nazi concentration camps power to see themselves as they truly were and overcome? I have heard the saying that when someone starts calling a child a profane name, they start to believe it. The mind is a powerful instrument, and although some people oppress it through their agency, we are also given our own in how to cope. I believe they were able to see their individual worth as children of God and perhaps even those who oppressed them. In the book, Man’s Search for Meaning, the author mentioned how he had to pray to God to give him the feeling of forgiveness if he would extend His hand. Perhaps he was preserved for that very reason. I am also reminded of the account of Alma in The Book of Mormon who raised the banner, “In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children,” in order to encourage his people, against Amalickiah who sought to take away their freedom. As they humbled themselves, recognizing their reliance on God, and by remembering that by heeding His commandments would enable their deliverance, they were able to win the battle. In the same way, all other moral leaders in the world that have made a significant impact had faith in God. Martin Luther King, for instance. Also, we as Americans have been enabled our freedoms as they were founded on Christian faith. I am truly grateful that we have a merciful God who will always hear and answer our prayers and will deliver us as we keep His commandments, no matter what opposition stands in our way. I love at the beginning of the Book of Mormon of Nephi’s statement, “I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them,” which seems to encompass each succeeding event. As the people righteously obey, they are able to accomplish His purposes to establish a land where none are oppressed.



The other night, when I was riding my bike home from Institute, I asked myself, “is what I am doing making me happy?” I then asked myself why on earth I was asking myself this question. I realized that I truly have a choice as to what things I choose to do to make myself happy. I made a hope and promise to myself that I will not ever sell myself short or set myself up for failure in which my life may lead to a series of miserable events and blame others for that misery. Honestly, I am the one to make choices that leads to my own happiness, not others. I hope to always have the determination to live in a wise manner. As I rode my bike home in the quiet cool night breeze amongst the moon lit night, I realized, yes, I am happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment