Monday, August 8, 2022

Cerulean Blue

 I remember the first time I discovered Cerulean, the color of the sky turned that color in Colorado Springs while I was living with my grandmother. Although, I didn’t know the name of the color. I remember being in awe staring at the sky. I didn’t want to take my eyes off if it. It was the most beautiful color I had ever seen. With excitement, I told my whole family a to look and behold of it. It became my favorite color. That wasn’t the only time the sky turned that color neither did it occur every night, but only on occasion. I told my grandma it was my favorite color. She told me the color had some sort of historical significance symbolizing royalty but I never quite understood that but thought never left my mind. 

     Then in 3rd grade I discovered the Crayon which reminded me of the sky which I saw. Which then became not only my favorite crayon but gave a name to my favorite color in which I saw.

Then this year I came across this article:

“For a clue to the origin of the name, you need to look upwards. The word cerulean comes from the Latin caeruleus, meaning dark blue caelum – which in turn probably derives from caelulum, meaning heaven or sky.”


“The colour has earned widespread popularity. In 1999 it was nominated by Pantone as the colour of the millennium. According to Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute, “Psychologically, gazing at a blue sky brings a sense of peace and tranquillity to the human spirit. Sky blue is imprinted in our psyches as a retiring, quiescent color. Surrounding yourself with cerulean blue could bring on a certain peace because it reminds you of time spent outdoors, on a beach, near the water – associations with restful, peaceful, relaxing times.”

(Source: https://www.winsornewton.com/na/articles/colours/spotlight-on-cerulean-blue/)


Then just today, in the Old Testament study manual, this! Moses actually used the color blue“The ribbon of blue also symbolically suggested concepts of deep importance. Blue signifies the heavens and so symbolizes the spiritual realm or godliness” (source: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/language-materials/32489_eng.pdf?icid=osd)



What I still wonder about if the cerulean color which I first time saw and was in complete awe, also was the thought in the artists mind who created the color pigment, and also the thought of Moses of what color to dye the pigment, but ultimately God who created the color for such a reason that we His children would see the color and feel a sense of awe, perfectness, complete beauty, as such will be in heaven.



I would like to think that Moses used the particular blue hue of Cerulean which might be a a huge conclusion to jump to because the sky itself is symbolic of heaven and thus the color blue. But I would say it could be.




No comments:

Post a Comment