Wednesday, November 22, 2017

L10 Fathers and Finances (Part 1)


The nature of work is important to consider. The reasons for work is defined from the beginning of Adam and Eve. God commanded Adam and Eve to till the earth. It was only by their labor that they would able to reap the fruits of the earth. Work has changed throughout the centuries. For instance, families used to work alongside each other on a family farm, but the industrial revolution replaced them with factories. Children and their fathers were separated and their only connection was through play. Work also went from social to lonely. Children were only able to work in the factories at a time until too many were being hurt and killed. Child Labor Laws protected children. Children’s contribution eventually led to a trend of consumerism. The reliance of technology had freed mankind from labor and influenced a new way of living that may be defined as the “Ease of Eden”. Opportunities lie all around us. Examples are winning the lottery, choosing not to have children, leaving field labor to immigrants, and going on vacations.
However unnecessary we might think work to be, it is necessary to build Zion. The family proclamation states, “successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities.” The reasons that work is necessary to instill in our families is to foster selflessness, heal relationships, build identity, and a sense of value. The Savior’s last lesson He taught before he died was to serve one another so that we might be one. He did this by washing their feet. There are two examples that give validity to His words. One is of a woman who was grieved for not bonding with her second child because of the traumatic experience in premature birth. However, one day as they were folding laundry, the mother was consumed with a parental love and the bond that had not previously existed was remarkably established.  Another example was of a student who went to a foreign country to help teach the people sanitation and farming in order to decrease mortality rates. The people were very cautious at first, but as they worked together, they felt as if they were one.
            Why do we work? Well, money of course! However, money can create problems if not managed successfully and it takes work on our part to do so. According to The American Bar Association, about 89% of all divorces in the United States are over money issues. Before getting married it is wise for couples to discuss finances. Additionally, when children reach the age of accountability at 8 years old, they should also be involved. Marvin J. Ashton, a previous leader in the Quorum of the Twelve suggests 12 ways how to manage finances wisely...


   1. Teach family members early the importance of working and earning
-  Children should earn their money through service and appropriate chores

   2. Teach children to make money decisions in keeping with their capacities to comprehend.
-  Saving for a purpose: mission, bike, doll house, etc. creates unity. Parents can match it with a predetermined percentage.

   3. Teach each family member to contribute to the total family welfare
-  Families can have financial and spiritual experiences when all members have the opportunity to contribute. “My missionary” becomes “our missionary.”

  4. Teach family members that paying financial obligations promptly is part of integrity and honesty development.
-  Paying tithing to the Lord promptly helps us to become honest with others

   5. Learn to manage money before it manages you
-  Ask if your sweetheart can manage money rather than earning a great amount.

  6. Learn self-discipline and self-restrain in money matters
-  Restrain impulses by thinking of needs of family.
-  Don’t complain about spouse. Make it a joint effort in learning together wise money management skills.

  7. Use a budget
-  Avoid finance charges except for homes, education, and other vital investments. Avoid installment credit and excessive use of credit cards
-  Buy consumer durables with cash, used items instead of new ones, and save money on a regular basis. Pay tithing and meet financial obligations promptly.

  8. Make education a continuing process
Complete as much formal, full-time education as possible, including trade schools. Use night school and correspondence classes. Acquire a special skill or ability that could be used to avoid prolonged unemployment.

   9. Work toward home ownership
This is an investment, not consumption. Buy one that your income supports. Improve and beautify the landscape so that you can use capital gain to get a better home if you sell it.

10. Appropriately involve yourself in an insurance program
It is most important to have sufficient medical and adequate life insurance

 11. Strive to understand and cope with existing inflation
- Learn to see through the money illusion and recognize the real value of money. Most wage earners have less purchasing power today. Inflation will likely continue. Era off higher prices and less abundant energy

12. Appropriately involve yourself in a food storage program

-  Accumulate basic supplies in a systematic and orderly way. Avoid going in debt. Beware of promotional schemes.



Remember than living within your means is a continual process, but it is worth it. In the end you will be happier when time and interest are working for and not against you. Also, if we ask, God for help, he will help us in these matters when we live close to Him and keep His commandments. Tip #4 I feel is particularly important, especially after I had read about this story for my Institute class this week...


“The university in which I studied had a regulation that prohibited the students that were in debt from taking tests. For this reason, when I received my salary I would first separate the money for tithing and offerings, and the remainder was allotted for the payment of the school and other expenses. I remember a time when I … faced serious financial difficulties. It was a Thursday when I received my salary. When I figured the monthly budget, I noticed that there wouldn’t be enough to pay [both] my tithing and my university. I would have to choose between them. The bimonthly tests would start the following week, and if I didn’t take them I could lose the school year. I felt great agony. … My heart ached. I had a painful decision before me, and I didn’t know what to decide. I pondered between the two choices: to pay tithing or to risk the possibility of not obtaining the necessary credits to be approved in school. This feeling consumed my soul and remained with me up to Saturday. It was then that I remembered that when I was baptized I had agreed to live the law of tithing. I had taken upon myself an obligation, not with the missionaries, but with my Heavenly Father. At that moment, the anguish started to disappear, giving place to a pleasant sensation of tranquility and determination. …That night when I prayed, I asked the Lord to forgive me for my indecision. On Sunday, before the beginning of sacrament meeting, I contacted the bishop, and with great pleasure I paid my tithing and offerings. That was a special day. I felt happy and peaceful within myself and with Heavenly Father. The next day I was in my office; I tried to find a way to be able to take the tests that would begin on Wednesday. The more I thought, the further I felt from a solution. …The working period was ending when my employer approached and gave the last orders of the day. When he had done so, with his briefcase in his hand he bid farewell. … Suddenly he halted, and looking at me he asked, “How is your college?” I was surprised, and I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. The only thing I could answer with a trembling voice was, “Everything is all right!” He looked thoughtfully at me and bid farewell again. …Suddenly the secretary entered the room, saying that I was a very fortunate person! When I asked her why, she simply answered: “The employer has just said that from today on the company is going to pay fully for your college and your books. Before you leave, stop at my desk and inform me of the costs so that tomorrow I can give you the check. After she left, crying and feeling very humble, I knelt exactly where I was and thanked the Lord for His generosity. I … said to Heavenly Father that He didn’t have to bless me so much. I only needed the cost of one month’s installment, and the tithing I had paid on Sunday was very small compared to the amount I was receiving! During that prayer the words recorded in Malachi came to my mind: “Prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it” (Malachi 3:10). Up to that moment I had never felt the magnitude of the promise contained in that scripture and that this commandment was truly a witness of the love that God, our Heavenly Father, gives to His children here on earth."


No comments:

Post a Comment